Books

  • Knee High River Water
  • Bible

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Oregon Coast Retreat: Recap.

So I would like to start this out by saying that miss RHONDA IS A SAINT. She was such an amazing driver through all the horrible snowy conditions, especially the way back from Oregon. There were cars all over the ditches and bridges, it was extremely scary. There were semi-trucks that had been turned into pretzels, and the ice was to blame. Only once did the two of us feel the car begin to slide as we ascended a steep part of a mountain pass, and Rhonda's AMAZING driving skills got the car back into traction.

That past, I would also like to say that I WENT TO OCEAN WORLD. Finally. Haha, I'm not sure if I should leave that as an inside joke between me and Rhonda or not, lets just say I have some mighty good powers of persuasion and maaaaaaay have scored myself and a very reluctant Rhonda some sweet tickets to a super seedy shark-themed amusement aquarium. The best part wasn't even seeing adorable seals being exploited for our enjoyment (they loved it, dont worry, all were rescue seals) or even the manta rays whose funny mouths we marveled at (resist the urge to google pictures of that...aaaaah i know you cant, just do it, they're awesome) it was by far...the...SHARK TANK PETTING ZOO!

YOU HEARD ME
(read me)

There they were, two sharks swimming about in a shallow tank, we were instructed that they didn't like fingers...but also not to tempt them. Not exactly the most reassuring words for two people about to stick their hands in that tank. Not going to lie either, my initial reactions were to just look at them from a distance and tell people i had (hyperbole, lying is WAY not cool) but then a group of 5-year-olds ran in front of us and just went for it. Then I knew what I had to do. After the initial "EEEEEEUGHOHMYGOODNESSITSSLIMY" part of the whole experience, I got really comfortable. They would just swim around and I would rest my hand along their backs, and move it around them as they swam through. They have a really interesting rhythm to the way they move, not to mention their skin feels wonderful. I dug it. Though one of them was totally gunning for rhonda's fingers. They probably smelled cookies :)

The retreat was amazing. It was so great to hang out with a bunch of God-fearing gals of all ages. I was super especially stoked on the 60+ ladies who were partying harder than us 20-somethings (I'm a 20-something...woah...). They were such a joy to be around and see. The speaker, Carole, our 6'7" giant, was fantastic. Totally Bible-centered, self-example teachings. She taught a ton on Romans 8:28, which blew my mind because Kevin just brought that up tonight at Bible study. Its a really good verse. I t came to be at a really important time in my life, I have a lot of decisions coming up, but I am assured that there is no wrong answer and that Christ is keeping me if I too cling to Him.

Those women will inspire me for the rest of my life. I hope to one day be as totally rad as they are. So intelligent. So driven. So God-fearing and wise. Gah.

Inspiring. Totally inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment